Thursday, 3 March 2011

Man To Be

Afternoon reader,

There are many websites, magazines, books and focus groups around which aim to help the modern woman find her way through the rocky, uneven paths of motherhood. It's a wonderful time, as they say. A time for change and planning, bad mornings and flushes of energy, uncertainty and natural intuition.

All of this is true, and as a man I can see it all from the outside, enjoy in the reflective glows and enjoy and feel strengthened by the bonds that strengthen through testing between myself and my wife. However, there is little in the way information chronicling the ups and downs, benefits and negatives, impacts and changes upon my life and the lives if other 'modern men' across the western world. They do exist, such writings, but from what I've seen they are either very patronising ("Dont worry, you'll still be able to watch the footie, you just might miss the odd goal or two") or very guilt centric ("as a man you will never know what it's like for a woman so for the next 20 years you must bend to her every will to make up for your patheticness")

As it happens I do have a bit of respect for the last of these two, it does at least speak a half truth. I will never truly know what it's like for a woman during the child giving years of her life, just as a woman would never truly know what it's like for a guy. Just as pertinent however, is the fact that no one could ever know what it is truly like for anyone else, regardless of differences or similarities. All we know is that things will change and we have no idea what they will change into.

The idea of this blog is that I will try and chronicle what those changes were for me, and how I cope, or don't cope, with what they bring.

Two days ago I discovered my wife was pregnant. No one is supposed to know yet, it's so early and things are so fragile at the moment and that comes with it's own set of problems, both practical and emotional. That, however, is for an entry other then this one.



Keep reading. Keep thinking. Keep breathing.

- Stevious

Location:Winchester,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment